Friday, March 12, 2010

The Mountain of Travel

All my family and friends know that I am a fearless traveler. I usually travel very light, alone (to the naked eye), and on a half a shoestring budget. I take the same “taxis” that locals use, work for free in exchange for accommodation, and am plain old low-maintenance. I prefer a bucket of water to a hotel’s hot shower (I have OCD about conserving resources), home cooked food to restaurants, and spontaneous activities to planned tours. This is not always a good thing! Sometimes I wish I had stayed on Wall Street so I could partake of the expensive fun I miss along the way, and pay/donate more to the local economy and people’s short-term needs.  But it’s worth it, because I have met amazing sources of Light that I wouldn’t have met on any other path, and who give me priceless perspective on long-term change in the Caribbean.

This was my first time bringing so much luggage, and much more money than ever before.  All thanks to contributions from my housemates, friends, neighbors, and family. I never asked or received support for a trip to the Caribbean before, and am so grateful for everyone’s help. This marks a new era, I am no longer on my own. Thank you all!

delta-airlines

I was originally scheduled to fly Delta, directly from New York City to Port-au-Prince, on January 28, 2010.

After the disaster, the flight was canceled 3 times (2 times without notice, 1 time at the last minute), with the date changed to February 14 and then February 22, departure city changed to Baltimore, and arrival city changed to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

On February 21, I took the Chinese bus from Philly to Baltimore, so that I could see my parents and sister before leaving.

On February 22, I flew from Baltimore to Atlanta to Miami to Santo Domingo. In Atlanta I stepped out of the terminal to pick up a beautiful Poster (from the co-owner of Initiators Art Gallery & Gift Shop, at Cumberland Mall in Atlanta) as a gift from Afrika in America, to Ayiti. “United as a Nation” by Ben Melech ttp://biblicalblackart.com/_catagory/message/unitedasanation.htm

united as a nation Caption: “United as a Nation, We Stand… Divided by Religion, We Fall”

On February 23, I took the bus from Santiago to Petion Ville. It took 8 hours instead of the usual 4-6. because of a transmission problem and then a long wait at “La Frontiere” (border of DR and Haiti) to pay taxes and have luggage/passports checked. I slept most of the way. The buses are REALLY nice, drivers very safe and friendly. The bus station is nicer than any Greyhound I’ve been to in America (I’ve been to at least 10 of them in the Midwest and East Coast states).

So finally, after a 3-day trip through 3 countries and 7 cities, I was ecstatic to eat some djon-djon, and fall asleep.

Disclaimer: Traveling into Haiti is usually as smooth and secure as any other country. In the past, Haitian airport security guards have even spotted things in my luggage that American guards missed. Travelling to Haiti will NEVER be this difficult ever again, Ensh Allah, God Willing. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO COME VISIT AYITI!

No comments: