Thursday, February 26, 2009

Tribute to Maya Angelou

My Blog's title is a direct reference to one of the greatest poems of all time, which describes a Black woman's challenges and destiny:

"Does my haughtiness offend you? Don't you take it awful hard 'Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines Diggin' in my own back yard."
Maya Angelou, "Still I Rise", Verse 5 (Listen on Youtube)
copyright © 1978

The author is speaking at my Alma Mater, Indiana University- Bloomington, this Thursday, March 5, 2009. (Rescheduled)
25th Annual Arts Week: An Evening with Maya Angelou
Part of me wants to catch a flight to see her, and all my old friends in Bloomington. My first trip back to Indiana will be a long and organized one, so it can wait.

Besides, Maya Angelou appears publicly on a regular basis. Her full speaking schedule is NOT available, but you may email her Public Relations agency;
mayaangelou@lordly.com, with your preferred state/region, to obtain a partial event listing.

Dr. Angelou has a simple, ugly, official website:

http://www.MayaAngelou.com/
Dr. Angelou's Foundation and Charter School, has a gorgeous website:
http://www.SeeForever.org/


Thank you, Maya Angelou, for persevering through your personal pain, and daring to share your Self with us in I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings and all your other works of Art and Activism.



No comments: